Sunday, May 6, 2012

Meeting Teddy!! And pierogi mascots? they do exist!!


First of all, i had a great time at the Phillies-Nationals game yesterday, even though the Phillies lost. I did not complete my mission to meet Screech, the Nationals mascot, but I may have done one better.....I met Teddy, one of the Nationals' racing US Presidents!  He sure was tall!! and yes, Teddy is giving me a thumbs down because he did not like my Phanatic t-shirt!




While drinking beers and watching the game at the Red Loft Bar at the Nationals' stadium, I met a Pittsburgh Pirate's fan, who enlightened me about an interesting mascot story (once I mentioned mascot nation), in light of the fact that the Pittsburgh pirates are playing the Washington Nationals in a series next weekend....Well, turns out there are Pierogi Mascots!!!!!  YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

According to wikipedia, The Great Pierogi Race, is an American mascot race between innings during a Pittsburgh Pirates baseball game that features four contestants racing in giant pierogi costumes: Jalapeño Hannah (green hat), Cheese Chester (yellow), Sauerkraut Saul (red) and Oliver Onion (purple).



The pierogies travel once a year to Miller Park to take on the Milwaukee Brewers' racing sausages (the inspiration for the Pirates' version of the promotion) when the Pirates play the Brewers, as well as to Nationals Park to take on the Washington Nationals' racing U.S. Presidents when the Pirates play the Nationals. Conversely, both the Brewers and Nationals bring their respective characters to PNC Park when they play in Pittsburgh. 
here is a rare video of the Pierogies taking on the Presidents...


Hmmm...this story just made me hungry for dinner!! :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wpWwuBIauw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

No comments:

Post a Comment